Friday, March 12, 2010

More healthy then your average applesauce

Today, I made applesauce with the peels left on. I really felt like it was a waste to just compost them, when they could be use in different things. Also, I read that they are filled with fiber and good stuff for you.
So I look on the internet and found a couple of things you could do, such as apple jelly and apple vinegar. I didn’t really want to spend the time to make these nor had everything in my pantry to make them. Also there are good ideas like adding the peels to granola or to pancakes. Check out this site for ideas: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/566028
But really, what I wanted to make was applesauce, so I took my apples and wash them in hot water with a bit a vinegar. Then I rise them in cold water and dry them with a cloth. It is better if you get organic apple, you don't have to worry so much about washing your fruits' skin before using it. Back to my apples, then I use my slicer! I love that thing, it is from Ikea, it was about 4$ and it save me so much time!!!




So I just put all my apple pieces in one pan and cook them with a bit of water, about 2/3 of the pan to the apples.
I was going to go with this recipe; http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pink-applesauce
But, à la place, I just simply didn’t add anything to my applesauce. I wanted to be able to use it in cakes and for sweet breakfast or on salty potatoes pancakes.
I would recommend to you to add lemon juice for salty food.
And I would add nutmeg, cinnamon, or even ginger if you want more of a sweet spicy taste.

(sorry about the picture, I really couldn't figure out how to turn it around...)

After the apples were cook, I use my mini food processor. It really compoted them. It was like baby food =). It didn’t even need more sugar. (You can add some to taste if you wish, I would recommend maple syrup or brown sugar) I have yet to try it in a cake… I will let you know the result soon!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm applesauce. I always make mine in a slow cooker so I can walk away from it for 4 hours hehe

    ReplyDelete